Monday, June 11, 2007

Mmmm...Bacon


Is there anyone who doesn't love bacon? Carbonara is so often my go-to meal. It has few ingredients that I usually have on hand and it's super quick. And did I mention that it has bacon?


There's no real recipe here, most things are to taste. Fry bacon until crisp and then crumble it (I usually use 3-4 slices per person). While the bacon fries, cook the pasta (I prefer linguine, but any long pasta will do). Toss the cooked pasta with cracked egg yolks (like 2 per person). The heat from the pasta will cook the egg and create a sauce. Grind lots of fresh black pepper over the pasta. Top with the bacon and grated Parmesan. Delicious!


Note: This dish is delicious as is, but can be turned up a notch by subbing pancetta for bacon. Also, it's delicious to saute some shallots before adding diced pancetta and cooking until crispy. tossing some chopped parsley at the end adds a nice color and peppery flavor.

2 comments:

Flann said...

I am starving after reading that. I love carbonara. I also like putting peas in mine. Actually, I like putting peas and bacon in pasta with any creamy sauce. Mmmm.

Deborah said...

Everything truly is better with bacon... this sounds wonderful and easy to make too. :)