Monday, June 4, 2007

Happy Birthday to J.




I decided to try to surprise J with a nice dinner for his birthday. This was the menu:

Filet Mignon

I liberally sprinkled the 1 1/2 inch steaks with kosher salt. I added a pat of butter to a small cast iron skillet heated to medium high. I seared the steaks for about 3 mins. on one side, turned it, seared for 2 mins. on the second side. Put them into a 400 degree oven for 3 mins. to finish. They came out a perfect medium.

Rosemary Mushroom Risotto

Ah, this side dish was going to be penne pasta with garlic cream sauce and mushrooms. except I forgot to buy cream at the store. So, I improvised. It turned out great.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 small shallot, finely chopped

1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

dried rosemary

1 cup arborio (risotto) rice

a splash of dry white wine

3 cups chicken stock

1 cup beef stock

1 large portabella mushroom cap, cleaned of the "gills" and sliced.

Parmesan cheese

In a separate pan, warm the combined stocks to a simmer.


I first sauteed the shrooms in about a tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil until golden and removed from pan. I added an tbsp. of oil and sauteed the shallots and garlic until tender. I added the arborio rice stirring until it turned translucent. Then added a splash of vermouth (mmm the aroma). Once the vermouth was absorbed, I added the stock a ladle at a time until absorbed, stirring constantly. To finish I added 1/2 tsp. rosemary and the mushrooms back in. Topped with the cheese.


No comments: