Friday, January 18, 2008

Cold Comfort



Chicago has a reputation for being brutal in the winter. That rep isn't necessarily deserved. I grew up in the mountains of Virginia and, for the most part, the climate is similar. But there's always that one week. Seven to ten days where everything people say about Chicago winters is true. It's frigidly cold and the wind howls like an angry dog. You wonder why anyone chooses to live here. During that week, I just want to hibernate, to wrap myself in a blanket on my couch and watch the cold press in on the windows. It's weird how you can almost see the cold.

While I'm tucked into the couch, I also want some comfort food--something warm and filling. When I came across this post on the fabulous Amateur Gourmet blog, it sounded perfect. The best part is that it can be made with anything that you have on hand. I always start with bacon (2 slices per person) and always use cannellini beans since I always have them on hand. Then I add whatever sounds good--carrots, celery, parsley, cheese, garlic, the possibilities are bounded only by the contents of your refrigerator.

So somehow, while this dish is always simple, it's never boring. Comfort food at its best.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fallin-NEY lurker here, just wanted to thanks for sharing these recipes. I've tried the tortellini soup and the tuscan bean soup so far, and they were both fantastic. Flavorful and hard to mess up, right up my alley. I plan on giving this one a go next. Thanks!
-lafulita28

Anonymous said...

I made this with butter beans, garlic, onions, celery, artichoke hearts and rice cheese. Yum!