Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Foodie Library


Other than cooking (ok, ok and bad reality TV), my other love is reading. I won't bore you with my many book recommendations, but I'd like to share some of my favorite food writings.

I have to start with Anthony Bourdain since his book inspired the title of this blog. I came across Kitchen Confidential at a local used bookstore about a year ago. I devoured it like a favorite dish. I still pick it up occasionally and read a random chapter.

Bourdain is swaggering, macho and quite often vulgar. He's also honest, passionate and almost always hilarious. The book traces Bourdain's childhood coming to love food through his rough and tumble youthful years as a young line cook to his career as executive chef at Les Halles. Along the way, he introduces you to characters almost too colorful to be real. He also shares useful tidbits that every restaurant partron should know.

Pick up Kitchen Confidential and be immersed in a world where food is a passion and an adventure. And find out why you should never order fish on a Monday.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

I love Anthony Bourdain, we try to watch his show every week. I'm a little scared to read this book though, there are probably things I'd rather not know about the restaurant business. :)~

noisy penguin said...

I found this yesterday at the bookstore twp minutes from where I work. It is the first thing I will buy next time I allow myself to buy books.

Nirmala said...

I love this book too! His stories are amazing.

Nirmala said...

I love this book too! His stories are amazing.

Thistlemoon said...

I love Anthony Bourdain and this book is one of the first ones I will read when I can actually have time to read a book again - a day that is coming soon I do hope!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!