Sunday, March 2, 2008

Three Olive Tapenade



I know that some people hate olives. I don't get it. Olives are the perfect combination of salty, earthy and fruity. If you dislike the particularly salty, green olives that are often on salads, don't write off all olives. There are so many varieties with their own unique flavors. Kalamatas, for example, are mild and fruity. If you have a favorite, this recipe can easily be made using one type of olive.

2 cups olives (I used one cup kalamata; 1/2 each of Spanish green and oil-cured)
3 anchovies
3 Tbs. drained capers
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. fresh thyme
pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is uniform.

I like to serve this with slices of baguette that I brush with extra virgin olive oil and toast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pic Tiff! It almost makes me want to eat olives. Yes, I am one of the crazies who can't stand olives of any kind. There's a funny story that Noelle can share with you about my last attempt at trying to acquire a taste for green olives.

The recipe looks good though. I made a similar tapenade with artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes that was SO good.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I confess to being one of those anti-olive people. I wish I liked olives as that would open up a lot of restaurant menu options and recipes for me, but I just can't get into them. I come from an olive-loving family too. My grandmother could probably eat a pound of those shrively oil-cured black olives in a sitting.

I like capers though. Go figure. People say if you don't like olives, you shouldn't like capers. I don't mind them.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I tried to like olives but am one of those who just couldn't acquire a taste for them. But I know many people who love them so I think I'm in the minority! :)

Erin said...

I keep checking here hoping you'll come back, I found a lot of great recipes through your blog!